Free School Meals
Applying for Free School Meals
School meals are free for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 children – why do I still need to apply?
All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 get free school meals, but if you receive one of the benefits from the list below you may also get help with:
- The cost of residential visits (speak to your school about this)
- Subsidised school trips
- Free school uniform
- Free Breakfast Club
You may be eligible for free school meals if you are in receipt of one of the following:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £16,190, provided they are not receiving Working Tax Credit
- the ‘Guaranteed’ element of the State Pension Credit
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (you will need to apply directly to the school not Bradford Council)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit
For each child registered for free school meals, schools receive a pupil premium of £1,300 (Primary schools) or £935 (Secondary schools) per year. This money is to help your child achieve their best at school.
If you think you are eligible for free school meals please visit https://www.bradford.gov.uk/benefits/applying-for-benefits/free-school-meals/ for further information and to apply on-line. Alternatively, please call into the school office where we will be happy to help with the application process.